Same sex Non-citizen divorce

Posted in British Columbia, Divorce, Location, Vancouver by Questions on April 18, 2013

My same sex partner and I are US citizens. We have never been a resident of Canada. We came to Vancouver in 2007 to get married. We would now like to file for divorce but we can’t find any information about how same sex couples who were married in Canada but are non citizens of Canada and who have never lived in Canada can file for a divorce. Any suggestions?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On April 22, 2013 at 7:59 am
    Lorrie Stojni, B.A., M.A., LL.B. said:

    There is no information available on this issue because there is a residency requirement for obtaining a divorce in Canada. One of the parties must be ordinarily resident in Canada for one year prior to seeking the divorce. I suggest you consult with legal counsel in the US regarding your issue. As same sex laws are emerging, the issue of divorce will also need to be addressed.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9