1 (877) 797-9411

Proof of Marriage

Posted in Divorce, Location, Ontario, Toronto Downtown Core by Questions on August 29, 2013

I was married overseas & sponsored my spouse. I don’t have the original copy of the marriage certificate, just a copy. What proof can I present in order to file for divorce? Can I contact immigration, Revenue Canada, etc., for some proof that may be acceptable?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On September 16, 2013 at 9:52 am
    Lorne J. Fine, B.A., LL.B. said:

    You can either see if you can obtain an original copy of the marriage certificate from the embassy or consulate of the country where the wedding took place. If you are unable to obtain an original of the marriage certificate, you will have to explain to the court, the efforts you made to obtain an original and why it cannot be produced.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved