1 (877) 797-9411

Outside of Canada

Posted in Divorce, Location, Mississauga, Ontario by Questions on March 11, 2014

Hi What if you got Married outside of Canada and wanna get the divorce from the same place is that acceptable in Canada ?? thank you

1 Expert Comment

  1. On March 11, 2014 at 10:52 am
    Andrew J. Kania, LL.B., LL.M. said:

    Answer: There are two issues. First, can you get a divorce in the location that performed the marriage? That is a question of local law, which means that you will have to ask a lawyer in the place that you got married. Second, if you wish to eventually re-marry in Canada, then Canadian law will look at the circumstances surrounding the “foreign divorce” to determine whether that divorce would be recognized under Canadian law, for the purpose of entitling you to get re-married in Canada. You need a Canadian lawyer to provide a “letter of opinion.”

    (The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved