1 (877) 797-9411

My civil status and my last name

Posted in Divorce, Location, Mississauga, Ontario by Questions on March 22, 2014

Me and my husband separated for almost 4 years. I am here in Canada while he is in our native country. I left him because of he is a gambler,irresponsible,and I found out that he already sleeping in his girlfriend’s house and now he has a child and they are living together.That is after a few months that we are separated. I want to get a divorce so I can use my name. I don’t want him to get anything from me because I am still married to him and I am still using his
last name. I am also applying for citizenship but I want to use my midden name not my married name. Do I have to change my passport too? Please give me some advice. Thank you.

1 Expert Comment

  1. On March 24, 2014 at 9:17 am
    A Family Lawyer said:

    You do not need to divorce to use your maiden name. All you need is to evidence that the name you want to use is actually your name. So, if you have the original marriage certificate with your maiden name you would use that. Contact the Office of Register General in Thunder Bay. If you explain the situation they will forward you the necessary paperwork and applications you need. Once you have changed your name, then you would proceed to obtain new identification, including, your passport. In the meantime, there is nothing prohibiting a change to the name you informally use.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved