Married over seas and want a divorce in Canada

Posted in Divorce, Location, Ontario, Toronto Downtown Core by Questions on September 1, 2013


I got married in Chile stupidly out of spontaneity. I was married for a total of eight or nine months, six of which we spent apart (he in Chile and I in Canada) And the last three that we were together he became extremely abusive(spent in Australia). After leaving him I cut off all contact with him and to this day have no way or want to contact him for any reason. We have been separated for well over a year now and I would like to get a divorce to make sure this will never come back to bite me if I do one day deiced to move forward with a relationship. Now is it possible for me to file for a divorce with-in Canada, even though he is not in the country, and I have no contact with him? A friend of mine told me to file for a “One Sided Divorce” and another told me because he was abusive and I had to leave that the marriage could be annulled. I am not sure how to approach this, or what avenues I should even be looking down. Thank you in advance for your help.

1 Expert Comment

  1. On September 16, 2013 at 9:51 am
    Lorne J. Fine, B.A., LL.B. said:

    The only advantage in obtaining a Divorce based on adultery is that you do not have to wait a year to be separated before you obtain a Divorce. See for additional information about claiming a Divorce on the basis of adultery and annulling a marriage. Since you are already separated for a year, you can proceed to obtain a Divorce. You will have to bring a Motion to the court for an Order dispensing with service of the Divorce Application (ie. you cannot give him the Divorce Application because you do not know where he resides).

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9