1 (877) 797-9411

Infidelity, Alcoholism and Emotional Abuse

Posted in Divorce, Hamilton, Location, Ontario by Questions on March 11, 2014

I am married to an extremely financially successful, professional, high functioning alcoholic who claims to love me but demeans me at every opportunity. I have forgiven his cheating with a coworker once very early in our marriage but have always had reason to suspect …..never any proof….until now… that he has continued to be unfaithful with a variety of women over the last 10 of our 14 year marriage. Together we have 4 minor children and a fair amount of property. I am a university educated stay at home mum. My husband consumes 10-15 drinks after work daily and passes out in front of the TV with a drink in his hand nightly. We currently sleep in separate rooms are seldom intimate. There is no physical abuse but I am always made to feel inadequate despite being a physically fit, intelligent, beautiful vivacious woman. I don’t want to do this anymore….this recent proof of infidelity is too painful compounded with the physical neglect and emotional abuse. What am I entitled to financially and what should I do? I am just fed-up!

1 Expert Comment

  1. On March 11, 2014 at 10:53 am
    Andrew J. Kania, LL.B., LL.M. said:

    Answer: In order to answer the above question, the exact ages of the minor children must be known. His alcoholic/adulterous conduct may be relevant for custody/access/spousal support issues. Given the above facts, it is likely that you will have custody and primary residence of the children, which means that you will then receive child support. Spousal support is also highly likely, although further details on income, ages, etc. will be needed to comment further. In terms of property division, as a general comment, you should receive a minimum of one-half of all the property. Perhaps more – as it is possible to receive an unequal division (which means more) based on the conduct of a spouse.

    (The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved