1 (877) 797-9411

I’m currently in India and would like to file for divorce

Posted in Divorce, Location, Ontario, Toronto Downtown Core by Questions on September 8, 2015

I got engaged July 2013 and legally married march 2015.
We’ve never lived together and during the time we do spend together he’s been violent physically and verbally. I did take pictures for proof on some occasions. We are both in agreement about divorce. He lives in France and I’m Canadian. We got married in Ontario. I’m currently in India and would like to file for divorce from here as soon as possible so I can move on with my life. What would be the fastest and easiest way to do this ?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On September 8, 2015 at 10:22 am
    Andrew J. Kania, LL.B., LL.M. said:

    You indicate in your question that you are currently in India and you would like to file for divorce “from here.” I assume that means that you wish to file from India. On that basis you should consult a lawyer in India. In terms of Canadian law, I will comment that in order for a divorce Application to be commenced in Canada at least one of you must be ordinarily resident in Canada for at least one year prior to the commencement of the divorce Application. If you are only visiting in India and ordinarily live in Ontario then we can help you.

    You are welcome to telephone me at 866-557-322 for a free consultation.

    (The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2019 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved