1 (877) 797-9411

I went to India & got married & now we want a divorce.

Posted in Divorce, Location, Mississauga, Ontario by Questions on May 12, 2014

I went to India and got an arranged marriage. Been married two years now and I sponsored my wife and she came last year. It’s going to be one year since she’s been here in Canada and things just aren’t working out and we want a divorce. What are the procedures for filing for a divorce in a situation like this?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On May 13, 2014 at 8:48 am
    Andrew J. Kania, LL.B., LL.M. said:

    Answer: As long as you have ordinarily resided in Ontario for at least one year, which I assume is factually correct as you sponsored her, then we can commence the Application for the divorce anytime that you wish. We will need the marriage certificate from India. Your main issue will be support for her, depending on her working arrangements, given that you agreed to support her for three years. I am happy to discuss the exact details with you, and provide you with an analysis of your case on this support issue.

    (The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved