Deceived by Husband

Posted in Anonymous Q & A, Divorce by Questions on February 3, 2013

My partner and I got married in Victoria B.C. I knew he was married before in the Philippines but was led to believe that marriage was annulled. I found out a few months after that he’s still legally married. I am also a Filipino citizen. Can I apply (and how can I) for a divorce?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On February 21, 2013 at 2:52 pm
    Lorrie Stojni, B.A., M.A., LL.B. said:

    In Ontario when applying for a Marriage Certificate, you need to provide information regarding your prior marriage/divorce.

    I suggest that before you conclude that he is still married, that you obtain copies of the legal documents in the jurisdiction where he was previously married. For example, a copy of the Marriage Certifcate would be helpful. I would then contact the former spouse and see if proceedings for a divorce were commenced in the Philippines.

    You can file for divorce in Canada on the following grounds: separate and a part for one year, or adultery and cruelty. What you are alleging is that this is a fradulent marriage.

    I recommend that you gather all of the informtaion as described above and then consult with a lawyer.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9