confused friend

Posted in Anonymous Q & A, Children by Questions on March 4, 2013

My friend has one biological child and has been taking care of a child that is not his since the childs birth. Now he is considering separating from aa common law marriage and is wondering how it would work for the oldest child. Would he have to pay child support on her or would courts go to the biological father?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On March 5, 2013 at 8:58 am
    Lorrie Stojni, B.A., M.A., LL.B. said:

    It depends on a variety of factors. If your friend stood in place of a parent to the non-biological child, (meaning he supported the child and as a father to him/her), then the court may find that he is in “loco parentis” and that he should pay child support to the mother upon separation.

    I suggest that your friend contact a lawyer for more detailed information specific to his case.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9