common law do you have to file for separation

Posted in Anonymous Q & A, Separation by Questions on January 9, 2013

Me and my fiance have been living common law since 2006 in Calgary Alberta. We have two children together do we have to file for separation or what documents do we file to notify the government we are no longer common law. how long do we have to be separated for till we can file and also do I have to file since he was the one who cheated on me.

Thank you

1 Expert Comment

  1. On January 22, 2013 at 9:06 am
    Lorrie Stojni, B.A., M.A., LL.B. said:


    Regardless of whether you are married, when you have children and you separate it is preferable to have a Separation Agreement in place regarding the issues pertaining to your children, like custody/access and child support. A lawyer can assist in the preparation of that Agreement.

    You will advise the government of your change in status when you file your Income Tax Return. You should speak to a tax specialist about that.


Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9