1 (877) 797-9411

What is considered a special expense?

Posted in Barrie, Children, Location, Ontario by Questions on July 21, 2014

My son is heading off to college in the fall out of town. I am paying child support through FRO. My ex-wife has advised me that I will have to contribute to my son’s groceries while he is at college. Are his groceries (laundry service, take-out, etc.) considered special expenses? I understand contributing to his books, field trips and similar expenses but shouldn’t these other expenses be included in what I pay as child support? Thank you very much.

1 Expert Comment

  1. On July 23, 2014 at 10:10 am
    Andrew J. Kania, LL.B., LL.M. said:

    Answer: You say that you are paying support through the FRO. That obviously means that there is either a Court Order or Separation Agreement. Thus, I cannot provide you with an answer specific to your case without first reading either the Court Order or Separation Agreement. That being said, generally speaking, you are correct in your belief that groceries are not a s.7 special or extraordinary expense. If you wish me to review the Court Order or Separation Agreement you may call me at (905) 451-3222.

    (The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved