Support for institutionalized child

Posted in Children, Location, Ontario, Toronto Downtown Core by Questions on March 22, 2016

My 12-year-old son has full-spectrum autism. He has lived in an institution for the past 2 years, and will continue so for the rest of his life. The only costs that the family covers are clothing and diapers. Should I be paying child support to my ex for him, or is it sufficient to share the above costs?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On March 23, 2016 at 2:21 pm
    Andrew J. Kania, LL.B., LL.M. said:

    My likely answer is that a Judge would only require you to pay your proportionate share of the extra costs, which you note to be clothing and diapers. However, I wish to emphasize that this is not legal advice and I cannot provide you with specific guidance on your case until we have spoken. I need to ask you a number of questions. You are welcome to telephone me at 905-451-3222 for a free consultation.

    (The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. As well, generally speaking, the above information relates to Ontario law. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, or if you are making inquiries where Ontario law may not apply, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9