1 (877) 797-9411

Child support for 18-year old child

Posted in British Columbia, Children, Location, Vancouver by Questions on April 5, 2016

I don’t have a formal separation agreeemnt but a verbal agreement with my exhusband since 2010. He has been paying child support but my daughter is turning 18 in May and is going to go to university. Is he legally obligated to pay?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On April 6, 2016 at 2:05 pm
    Stuart Zukerman said:

    Child support is payable until at least age 19 ( the age of majority in BC) and beyond that for so long as the child is unable by reason of disability, illness or other cause (such as full time or part time education or training) to withdraw from dependence upon a parent. At a minimum he is obligated to pay until the 19th birthday, and often if the child is in university that will continue at least until the first degree (age 23 or 24), but there are cases where support has been ordered to continue for a 30 year old going for his PHD.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved