Can cost of living get calculated as part of child support?

Posted in Children, Location, Ontario, Ottawa by Questions on November 19, 2014

My ex owns one house, mortgage free, which she lives in and a second one with a family member that is being renovated to be sold for a profit. At this point she is not making any money off the income property but could this be somehow factored into her annual income? Also the fact that her primary residence is mortgages free while I pay rent means that my cost of living is quite a bit higher than hers. Can this influence the amount of child support I pay?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On November 19, 2014 at 10:09 am
    Andrew J. Kania, LL.B., LL.M. said:

    Answer: You have raised two questions. I answer them as follows:

    1. Yes, the actual profit that she is/should be earning as a result of rental income does get included in her overall income. I can comment further on your exact facts if you call me and I can ask you some questions.
    2. If you wish to pay LESS than the Child Support Guidelines, and she does not agree, then you need to make an undue hardship claim. In order to be successful your TOTAL household income needs to be lower than her TOTAL household income.

    I invite you to telephone me for a free consultation, at: (866) 557-3222, so that I can provide proper guidance to you.

    (The information provided above is general, not legal advice, as circumstances vary from case to case. Thus, if you wish legal advice that you can rely upon for your specific case, please contact Andrew Kania for a free consultation).

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9