Can a child be given into the custody of a legal sibling?

Posted in Children, Location, North York, Ontario by Questions on December 19, 2014

Can a child request to live with a sibling who is legal and has a steady job? Can said child ask to be given into the custody of a legal sibling?

1 Expert Comment

  1. On December 19, 2014 at 2:16 pm
    A Family Lawyer said:

    In Ontario, under the Children’s Law Reform Act, a parent or any other person, may apply for custody and/or access of a minor child. The test remains to be the best interests of the child(ren). There are cases dealing with custody and access rights of extended family members to a child. You should consult with a family law lawyer to identify your concerns and possibly apply those concerns to the law to see whether there is a possible case to make out to proceed with the custody and access matter. During that meeting, you should also discuss different ways of being able to present the child’s views and preferences, and also to verify the child’s circumstances for the court. The Office of the Children’s Lawyer becomes involved when there is a court order asking it to do so.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
150 King St W, Suite 239. Toronto, ON, M5H 1J9