1 (877) 797-9411

Am I entitled to my wife’s severance package and pension?

Posted in Location, Montreal, Quebec, Separation by Questions on October 29, 2015

Anonymous Asked:

I would like to separate from my wife due to irreconcilable differences. We have been married for almost 20 years and have a 14 year old boy. My wife was recently let go from a job she held for more years than we were married. She received a severance package as well as her pension. She has deposited these monies under her name (RRSP and other accounts).

What am I entitled to?

Thank you

1 Expert Comment

  1. On October 29, 2015 at 11:49 am
    Andrew Heft said:

    Your question is very broad for the few facts you have included in it. I would suggest you consult an attorney to more thoroughly discuss your rights and obligations pursuant to a separation from your spouse.

    In Quebec you are normally entitled to half of all retirement earnings and RRSPs accumulated during the marriage. Your ex-spouse’s current employment situation does not affect this right.

    However, please note that you might have to help support your spouse until she gets back on her feet and pay child support depending on your custody arrangement.

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2018 divorce-canada.ca, All Rights Reserved